Sharon’s Healthy Breakfast Cookies
Adapted from Minimalist Baker
(gluten free & vegan, too!)
- 2 medium ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 flax “eggs” (2 tablespoons flaxseed and tablespoons water)
- 1/2 cup natural smooth or crunchy peanut butter (or other nut butter)
- 2 tablespoons organic virgin coconut oil, melted (or canola oil)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons agave nectar or maple syrup (or honey if not vegan)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch sea salt (add more or less depending on saltiness of your peanut butter)
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free rolled oats
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1/2 cup gluten free oat flour
- 1/2 cup non-dairy semisweet or dark chocolate chips (or dairy version if not vegan)
- 3 tablespoons raw walnuts, lightly crushed (or substitute other nut)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine flax seed and water, and let rest for 5 minutes to achieve “eggy” texture.
- Mash in the bananas until well combined.
- Add peanut butter, melted coconut oil, vanilla, agave nectar or maple syrup, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir until combined.
- Add oats, almond meal, and oat flour. Mix well.
- Add chocolate chips and walnuts, and stir until well combined.
- Refrigerate for 5 minutes to harden.
- Drop cookies by spoonful on a lightly greased baking sheet – they won’t expand much. Also make them as uniform in size as possible to ensure even baking.
- Bake for 15 to 17 minutes or until the cookies are slightly golden brown.
- Let rest on baking sheet for a few minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. After completely cooled, store in an airtight container to keep fresh for up to a few days. Refrigerate or freeze for even longer storage time.
Makes: 26 cookies Total Time: 27 minutes