Lori’s Macaroni Salad
- 1 12-ounce package elbow macaroni
- ¼ cup oil (Canola)
- ½ cup vinegar
- 1 can spam, finely chopped
- 8 ounces shredded sharp cheddar (thick shred)
- ½ onion, finely chopped (red or yellow, your choice)
- 5-6 stalks of celery, finely chopped.
- 8 ounces ranch dressing
- Salt and pepper
- Make pasta according to package directions, then drain the pasta.
- While the pasta is still warm, add the oil and stir, then add the vinegar and stir again.
- Add the onions, salt, and pepper and refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, add all the remaining ingredients and stir. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Makes: 10-12 servings
Total Time: 1 hour (plus refrigeration)
About the Chef
Name of Chef: Lori Shelton
Family: Husband Greg, daughters Mary (20) and Susan (18)
Community: Scripps Ranch
Hobbies & Interests: Walking at the lake, attending the Del Mar Race Track. Making bows, hats, and anything crafty.
Favorite Local Activity: Neighborhood gatherings and concerts in the park.
About the Recipe: This recipe was given to me by my mom and I have been making it for our 4th of July party for several years. The recipe originally called for ham, but my mom said they could not afford ham so she substituted spam and it was such a big hit that we never changed it. The key to making it so tangy is letting it soak overnight in the vinegar.
About the Chef: I grew up in Southern California and have never wanted to leave. I moved to Scripps Ranch in 1997 and have enjoyed every minute of it. I have been involved in my daughter’s soccer league and softball league for several years. All that involvement in my daughter’s sports led me to start my own business making sports hair bows. I starting this when she was only seven and am still going strong 13 years later. I spend my weekends at any given softball or soccer field selling the bows at tournaments. You can check out my website at www.sportshairbowlady.com.
Get Published! Submit a recipe at www.92131magazine.com